ant-user mailing list archives

From Saviely <ca...@SDF.lonestar.org>
Subject Re: licensing (was: Ant gui tool)
Date Mon, 23 Oct 2000 03:58:41 GMT
On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, Peter Donald wrote:
> can you post the emails or get permission to post them ? When other people
> have emailed them (such as Brian guy who runs apache and other people who I
> have asked to email them) the response has been negative. Generally they go
> straight to RMS thou so .... not sure. Thou GNU generally falls to RMSs
> opinions in long runs ...

GPL v2, Para 3:
"However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not
include anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary
form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the
operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component
itself accompanies the executable."

Sun's SCSL v2.3, Para 3.d(i):
"Source.  Covered Code may be distributed in Source Code
form only to another Licensee (except for students as
provided below)."

> The copyright owner can always do this regardless of what license they
> place it under. The problem arises when they accept patches of more than 10
> lines. There is now 2 copyright owners and thus can't be done unless both
> agree. Now repeat this many times and you get the problem.

You have worked as a Gnu developer and they have not told you the
solutions to this.  If you wish to mend things with Gnu + Apache, then I
suggest that you request they be more forthright with legal specifics,
rather than having gnu.org serve as only a propaganda piece.

You apparently have written so much on the subject that I suspect it would
be a far better use of your time to be in the part-time employ of Gnu to
write a clarification section, with examples and such.

Saviely