ant-user mailing list archives

From Saviely <ca...@SDF.lonestar.org>
Subject Re: licensing (was: Ant gui tool)
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2000 16:06:21 GMT
> I am not sure you understand all the facts.

You may not be, but I am completely sure I don't.

I have been mailing licensing@gnu.org, and have been frustrated at their
continual requests that I clarify myself when asking very simple questions
(that they certainly get everyday.)  Actually, I'm shifting the blame to
me; their words are that no conflict exists.

I am fully aware that I may have to use the reflection API or Kaffe in
order to use basic Java libs.  I use reflection all the time when using
IBM's xml parser, to reduce porting time.

> Apache does not require anything to be "APL compatable" it only restricts
> the way in which it is distributed (must state that it uses Apache software
> in program and must not use same name as apache product if it has been
> modified).

I was told that anything under a gnu license woudn't be distributed with
Ant.  The clear inference was that GNU = APL incompatible, therefore can't
be distributed with Ant.

There are a number of GPLed tools that produce buildfiles for later Ant
processing.  The inference also is that they wouldn't be distributed with
Ant, though it is not illegal to make such tools.

Is this a minefield? Yes, so is proprietary licensing.  It is likely
unwise for me to have gotten into this discussion; people have such strong
feelings on the subject that the best communication is with the licenses
themselves.

My point still stands, it is possible to dual-license advantageously.
IIRC, there is also a clause that can be inserted in GPL'ed programs,
reserving that the original author may grant exceptions to the GPL on
whim.  This may also be used advantageously.

Cheers,
Saviely