ant-user mailing list archives

From Saviely <ca...@SDF.lonestar.org>
Subject Re: licensing (was: Ant gui tool)
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:54:13 GMT
On 20 Oct 2000, Jon Schewe wrote:
> I'm sorry to have brought this whole thing up again, but is there any
> incompatibility between LGPL and APL?  And is it possible to do a combination
> license GPL/APL?  Would there be any advantage in this?

Yes, it is quite possible to dual-license.  Perl does this with the
Artistic & GPL.  Separate sourcetrees can be maintained, or the maintainer
can just reject any patches that are for just one license.  (Someone else
can fork the code if they don't like one of the licenses.)

The advantage would be that your program can be distributed with
say, Debian (who requires everything be GPL-compatible) and Apache (who
requires everything being APL-compatible.)

Another advantage, if you have a fondness for the GPL, is that it raises
its visiblity, so more people can conceivably be educated on what the GPL
does.

I didn't think it was wise to bring it up again, so I'm glad you did. ;)

Saviely