ant-user mailing list archives

From Saviely <ca...@SDF.lonestar.org>
Subject Re: licensing (was: Ant gui tool)
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:57:46 GMT
On 11 Oct 2000, Jon Schewe wrote:
> Peter Donald <pjdonald@cs.latrobe.edu.au> writes:
> Which obnoxious licensing clause might that be?  Also where may I find the APL
> 1.1 and 2nd BSD licenses?  I'm interested for some software that I'm writing
> as well.

(I would have replied earlier but I was DoS'ed)
The best explanation I've found (from Gnu's perspective) is at:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html

The "fatal" line is:
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
 *    the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
 *    distribution.

It is fine alone, but suppose I used an Apache license for a GUI tool, and
stipulated it must have another copyright line, with my name.  Then the
user would see two copyright lines scrolling by.  Supposedly, NetBSD had
75 lines.

I wish Gnu didn't use words like "fatal" and "annoying," it leads to
fatally annoying flamewars.  People should be smarter than that, but it
only takes one bad mood.

Saviely