ant-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Todd" <ct...@alabanza.com>
Subject RE: Ant gui tool
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:06:10 GMT
Saviely-

There was quite an active discussion about the compatibility of the APL and
GPL in exactly the context of a proposed Ant GUI on the ant-dev mailing list
about a month ago.  You might want to check the archives at
http://archive.covalent.net and look for the Ant-gui thread in september.  I
found it to be a very informative discussion of software licensing issues in
open source.

The short answers to your questions are:
1)  At least two other people have an expressed an interest in developing a
GUI for ant (The ANTHILL project announcement was the one that kicked off
the ant-gui discussion on ant-dev last month).
2)  The GPL is incompatible with the APL, so the ASF literally can't accept
any code contributions that are GPL.  Of course, that doesn't prevent you
from creating an ant GUI and disctributing it yourself.

Chris Todd
Software Engineer
ctodd@alabanza.com
Alabanza Corporation