ant-user mailing list archives

From "Mahlen Morris" <mmor...@yaltacomm.com>
Subject RE: a possible bug in Exec ?
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2000 19:11:49 GMT
Also, while I haven't tried it, past experience indicates that an exec
on 'cmd /c dir' would be equivalent to doing dir in the command line.
'cmd' is the name of the NT command shell, and '/C' means "Carries out
the command specified by string and then terminates" (from 'help cmd').

mahlen

The horror of the Twentieth Century is the size of each event and the
paucity of its reverberation.
        --Norman Mailer

-----Original Message-----
From: rwaldhof@us.britannica.com [mailto:rwaldhof@us.britannica.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2000 12:06 PM
To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: a possible bug in Exec ?

"dir" is a command of the DOS shell (just like "ls" is usually defined
within your Unix shell), not of the operating system itself.  If you
want to do a "dir", one way to do it is to create a batch file than runs
it:

_file: foo.bat_
dir

and run

<exec dir="." command="foo.bat" os="Windows NT" output="dir.txt" />

You could also create a generic batch shell, like:

_file: dynamic.bat_
%1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

and use it for arbitrary DOS commands:

<exec dir="." command="dynamic.bat dir /w" os="Windows NT"
output="dir.txt" />

This isn't a bug in Ant, or even java.lang.Runtime.exec(), but rather a
"feature" of the relation between operating systems and shells.