ant-user mailing list archives

From Dino Valente <d...@3dstockcharts.com>
Subject Re: Building a hierarcical build-file tree?
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:06:34 GMT
At 05:34 PM 10/17/00 +0200, you wrote:

>  DV> I disagree with the above premise that different targets in the
>  DV> same build file works better.
>
>I knew somebody would and actually I'm happy to see you are still
>around to do so 8-).

I really want to get rid of makefiles...

>  DV> Actually, this is not true since the build files can't be reused
>  DV> and can't be called by other build files easily (problem with
>  DV> SYSTEM includes and property values).
>
>As for SYSTEM includes - does Ant 1.2rc still have the same problem, I
>hope it has been fixed now.

The problem with includes is the relative path. The problem can be
described as follows:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE project [
   <!ENTITY common SYSTEM "file:../build.template">
]>

I can use the entity declaration in the build files but if it is called
from another directory then it doesn't work. I can't see a working around
this problem since it requires ant to change the current working directory
to the location of the build file (is it possible in Java to change the
current working directory?).

>When talking about properties (you mean that properties set in the
>parent build file override those set in called builds, right) I'd very
>much hope we can come to a conclusion about the future of them after
>Ant 1.2 - and I'm counting on your input.
>
>Properties are dynamic now which should already help a little.
>
>Stefan

I noticed this so I have to look into this more closely.

I would like to have two aspects addressed: the ability to execute build
files in a hierarchical fashion (in which each build file is self
contained) and the ability to reuse rules (which is possible via the ENTITY
declaration; it is the relative file problem that is preventing it).

dino