ant-user mailing list archives

From Dino Valente <d...@3dstockcharts.com>
Subject Re: Building a hierarcical build-file tree?
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:19:59 GMT
At 04:31 PM 10/17/00 +0200, you wrote:

>  s> Is this possible and if, how?
>
>It is possible (calling buildX.xml from control.xml via <ant> for
>example) but I wouldn't recommend a design like this. IMHO building
>different modules by different targets in the same build file works
>better.
>
>Stefan

It is not easy and ant is not geared towards this (which is a shame). I
disagree with the above premise that different targets in the same build
file works better. Actually, this is not true since the build files can't
be reused and can't be called by other build files easily (problem with
SYSTEM includes and property values).

A typical development environment would pull in different reusable
components and would call the standard build files associated with each
module. At our company we have 20 or so reusable components and using
makefiles is extremely straight forward (I wish I could use Ant because it
is nicer and simpler to use but the limitations above prevent me from doing
this).

dino