ant-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Building a hierarcical build-file tree?
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:55:36 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>  CRM> <property name="servletapi.home" value="${basedir}/../jakarta-servletapi"/>
>
> Make that
>
> <property name="servletapi.home" location="../jakarta-servletapi"/>
>
> in Ant 1.2. Same effect but maybe easier to read.

Yes, that is nicer.  You might also want to highlight somewhere the "built in "
properties like ${basedir} that Ant sets for you -- it took a lot of digging before I
found this one.

>  CRM> This works fine -- at least until Ant changes the rules on
>  CRM> property immutability again :-).
>
> So do you mean, we shouldn't? 8-)

Having watched the debate unfold over the last year or so, I'm still firmly sitting
on the fence :-)

All I really want, though, is to have the decision made and then stuck with.  It
seems every release of Ant requires a ton of cleanups for things that have now been
deprecated.  This time around, most of them are pretty easy (one-for-one
replacements) but because Ant is so cool I know have lots more build.xml files to
mess with than I used to have :-).

Changing something fundamental like property immutability (again) would cause me a
lot of grief unless there was a backwards compatible way for my current build scripts
to keep working the way they do.

> Stefan

Craig

                                    Applications to Tomcat