ant-user mailing list archives

From Ken Wood <kw...@i2.com>
Subject Re: New doc format and organization
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:58:01 GMT
I have mixed feelings about this....

Reasons FOR it:

  a. maintenance of any one topic is easier since
     you only have to update a file or two...
  b. focus on one topic at a time is nice,
     especially if this is done as frames (see below)

Reasons against it:

  a. Can't search the document.
  b. Can't print the whole document
     at one shot.

However, if we get the docs to an automated
creation point, we should do both the frame
version and the single long version for
searching/printing...

Cosmetic - it would be nicer if the "index.html"
was in a left hand frame for navigation, and
the right hand pane contained the information.
Glenn said there were issues across browsers, but
I don't know what they are....

I just did a quick test by creating this frame set:

<HTML>
<FRAMESET FRAMEBORDER=1 FRAMESPACING=2 cols="20%,80%">
  <FRAME src="index.html" name="left">
  <FRAME src="intro.htm" name="right">
</FRAMESET>
</HTML>

Then, I edited "index.html" to have target=right
in all the hrefs, i.e.:

  <dt>3.0 <a href="system_requirements.htm" target=right>Determining
system requirements</a></dt>

I tested this with Netscape 5.7 and IE 5.0 on NT, and it
looked fine. Whenever you click on a link in the left
hand frame, the content appears in the right hand
side. I edited a few "next" and "previous" links to
be correct, and verified that they move within the
right hand frame correctly.

Only "big" change I see is that the list of contributors
looks odd in the left hand navigation pane, so I moved
it to "intro.htm".

It all looked fine to me. Not sure why this can't be part
of the 1.2 release. I've attached the modified files if
you'd like to try them out. Just unzip Glenn's file,
extract the attachments into the same place, and
start with "frames.html" rather than "index.html"...