ant-user mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@locus.apache.org>
Subject Re: licensing (was: Ant gui tool)
Date Sat, 21 Oct 2000 05:50:48 GMT
>Here's a positive such email I got:
>-- start copy --
>Jon Schewe wrote:
>
>> I'm working on writing a java preprocessor and would like to use two
>> libraries that are licensed under LGPL in the program.  I also would like
>> to release my software under the APL(Apache Public License).  Part of the
>> reason for this is that I want to be able to create extra modules that for
>> an application that licensed under APL that use my application.  Is this
>> legal under the terms of LGPL?  Or do I need to use other libraries?  I
>> have read the LGPL and it appears that I can do this,
>
>If your software is a "work that uses the LGPL'ed libraries", than the LGPL
>permits linking your APL'ed code with it, as long as you obey the terms of
>the LGPL (e.g., by including the source of all LGPL'ed libraries in your
>distribution).
>

>BTW, I hope that you will choose to release your software under a dual
>license, such as (LGPL|APL).
>
>I ask this because the APL is incompatible with the GPL, and if someone
>wants to use your software in a GPL'ed program, they would not be permitted
>to do so if you released it solely under the APL.
>
>--- end copy ---

right - that discusses LGPL not GPL. It also did not mention points such as
what else you are linking to.

It also did not indicate the date of this ? Because it *seems* that this is
recent ? A while back GNU stated that because of javas linking model LGPL
== GPL but from the above statement it seems that this has changed ? I went
searching for original docs stating this a while ago and noticed they had
disappeared - so maybe their opinion on this has changed.

Cheers,

Pete