ant-user mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject Re: licensing (was: Ant gui tool)
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2000 15:55:12 GMT
>Yes, it is quite possible to dual-license.  Perl does this with the
>Artistic & GPL.

but perl is self-contained or only relies on "system" components (excepted
by clause 3 in GPL).

>Separate sourcetrees can be maintained, or the maintainer
>can just reject any patches that are for just one license.  (Someone else
>can fork the code if they don't like one of the licenses.)

yep.

>The advantage would be that your program can be distributed with
>say, Debian (who requires everything be GPL-compatible) and Apache (who
>requires everything being APL-compatible.)

well ... debain does NOT require everything to be GPL compatable it
requires it to be free (see
http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines) which is a similar
definition used by FSF. APL is free software so there is 0 problem
distributing it with debian.

Apache does not require anything to be "APL compatable" it only restricts
the way in which it is distributed (must state that it uses Apache software
in program and must not use same name as apache product if it has been
modified).

>Another advantage, if you have a fondness for the GPL, is that it raises
>its visiblity, so more people can conceivably be educated on what the GPL
>does.

virtually all the people who use GPL in java projects misuse it. This
"education" you refer to has occured and has resulted in a large number of
projects claiming to be GPL but not actually being GPL. Because GPL is a
legal minefield unless you know what you are doing and restricts you from
using rudimentry capabilities in java then it is much better to use a less
restrictive license.

Projects who still try to use GPL-like licenses in java will try to
copyleft on package/file/class basis and as was learnt in early days of GNU
this is largely innefective in doing whta they aim to do and only blocks
cooperation.

>I didn't think it was wise to bring it up again, so I'm glad you did. ;)

I am not sure you understand all the facts.

Cheers,

Pete