ant-user mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pjdon...@cs.latrobe.edu.au>
Subject Re: licensing (was: Ant gui tool)
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2000 15:22:16 GMT
At 08:16  20/10/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm sorry to have brought this whole thing up again, but is there any
>incompatibility between LGPL and APL?  And is it possible to do a combination
>license GPL/APL?  Would there be any advantage in this?

Unfortunately still yes. I asked a few people to prod RMS to see if he
would allow APL but he decided that it was not possible. The main reasosn
is that you can not take product X, modify it and call it X under APL - you
have to call it a modified version of X. According to RMS this is taking
away the freedom of developers.

I suspect that it is just a move to block people developing code under APL.
RMS at one stage was very vocal in trying to stop people working for APL
like projects - while he allows exceptions for some libraries for political
reasons (ie ones KDE build on or X consortiums derived software) - Apache
is not one of the blessed and thus he encourages all developers to fight
against Apaches oppressive restrictions ;] No true GNU supporter is meant
to develope code under APL and thus the reasons why he is throwing so many
roadblocks in way. Apache has changed and revised license once already and
tried to do it again to suit RMS but he will not be happy with anything but
the GPL.

Cheers,

Pete