ant-user mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pjdon...@cs.latrobe.edu.au>
Subject Re: licensing (was: Ant gui tool)
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2000 01:14:17 GMT
>> APL 1.1 is basically 2nd BSD license. When most people refer to BSD they
>> refer to APL 1.0 or first BSD license that had the "obnoxious licensing
>> clause"
>
>Which obnoxious licensing clause might that be?  Also where may I find the
APL
>1.1 and 2nd BSD licenses?  I'm interested for some software that I'm writing
>as well.

http://java.apache.org/framework/license.html and
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/license.html

are examples of APL 1.1 . The obnoxious licensing clause said you had to
advertise Apache when ever it is included in a distribution. FSF hates this
as you end up with long lists of software advertising on boxes. APL 1.0 had
this. 1.1 has an acknowledgement clause that states somewhere in the
program you have to acknowledge you use Apache stuff.

See www.gnu.org for their opinions on licensing. Apache is going to put
together a similar document at ApacheCon (a couple of weekedns away I
believe) so  a similar document from another perspective will appear on
jakarta.apache.org soon.

Cheers,

Pete