ant-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Rosner <dros...@interbind.com>
Subject Difficulty with filtering and javac task.
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2000 19:19:05 GMT

Specifically I have questions below about substitution to make a version
number.

My project has a Version class which holds a set of public final static
String's that I would like to replace at compile time. So in my Version.java
I have, for example,
    /** current build number */
    public final static String build = "@BUILD@";

When I use the ant javac task, the substitution I expected is not happening.
I am trying to follow what I think I should do as indicated in the
c:/ant/docs/index.html file... which is something like this:
        <javac
            srcdir="${javaSourceDir}"
            destdir="${classesTargetDir}"
            classpath="${classpath}"
            debug="on"
            filtering="on"

Question: That index.html file doesn't say if I should do "on" or "true"- am
I doing the right thing?

Question: When I look in the source of ...\taskdefs\Javac.java I can't see
where it is doing the substitution. Is this supported? Am I doing the right
thing?

As an aside, is this an appropriate forum for discussion about build 'best
practices'? I'm wondering how you folks manage the build-release process, of
which my questions are just a part. With regard to this specific problem,
any examples of how you folks are doing version # substitution/management
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-D