ant-user mailing list archives

From "Scott M Stark" <Scott_St...@displayscape.com>
Subject Re: how to supplement javac compile dependencies?
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2000 19:52:35 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Diane Holt" <holtdl@yahoo.com>
To: <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2000 12:28 PM
Subject: Re: how to supplement javac compile dependencies?

> --- Scott M Stark <Scott_Stark@displayscape.com> wrote:
> > If you build into a tree separate from the source tree and remove the
> > build tree [...]
>
> Actually, I'd recommend you only delete *.class in the build-tree rather
> than the whole tree itself, if you have lots of support files that are
> copied into it (which I do, so that's what I do).

Good point.

> > Say you create such a smartinclude task [...]
>
> Wouldn't anything like that end up taking longer than just a full
> recompile? (I thought that's what the case against it was.)

Probably, and that is why I just do the full compiles. Playing devil's advocate I can
think of a situations where there would be benefit. One is if you have to build a large
project over NFS(one place I worked for has this situation because of how they
have their ClearCase source control system setup).