ant-user mailing list archives

From "Nico Seessle" <Nico.Sees...@epost.de>
Subject Re: Experiences with Ant.
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2000 19:54:49 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph R. Kiniry" <kiniry@kindsoftware.com>
To: <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Cc: <kiniry@acm.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 8:31 PM
Subject: Experiences with Ant.

> 1. The Jakarta projects at Apache use Ant, they are the ones that actually
> developed it.  I've found a few other projects that use Ant by searching
for
> "build.xml" in Google.  Searches on several other terms yielded no new
hits.
> The projects using Ant include TView, one of the free EJB servers
(ejboss),
> Infozone (another XML server-side framework), and Ozone (an OS Java
ODBMS).  I
> get no hits on Ant-using projects at SourceForge, though I'm sure there
must
> be a few.
And you would find other users (including commercial users) if you take a
look at ant-dev-list.

> 2. To run Ant one has to set ANT_HOME and JAVA_HOME environmental
variables
> and run a bourne shell script.  No such script is provided for Windows, so
you
> either write your own batch file or run Ant "natively".
ant.bat is provided as well

> 3. When you are executing platform specific applications (like the exec
task,
> or the cvs task), the property ant.home must be set to the directory
> containing a bin directory, which contains the antRun shell script
necessary
> to run execs on Unix.  No such script exists for Windows.  It is unclear
how
> this works on Windows.

I'm not sure for UNIX, but on Windows antRun.bat (which is available) is
only needed if you use a working directory different from the current dir
and you are using JDK < 1.3.

> 4. A few of the built-in tasks only work under UNIX, but they are
reasonable
> ones.

Which one in addition to chmod (which would really not make any sense on
windows although it could, but who revokes execution-rights on Windows
(NT)?)

> 5. The Ant Users list is fairly quiet.  I subscribed a couple of days ago
and
> no messages have been sent.

I'm not sure, but it seems every mail you get thru the list contains for
example "Return-Path:
<ant-user-return-1609-Nico.Seessle=epost.de@jakarta.apache.org>" which seems
to inrement with every mail and would mean a total of 1609 mail since..
when? The archive at http://archive.covalent.net/ startet 07/2000.

Nico