ant-user mailing list archives

From "Nico Seessle" <Nico.Sees...@epost.de>
Subject Re: Difficulty using jikes with large source tree
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:11:28 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Diane Holt" <holtdl@yahoo.com>
To: <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2000 10:51 PM
Subject: Re: Difficulty using jikes with large source tree

> Actually, I think Stefan put a change thru recently to break large compile
> lines down into smaller units. (I don't know -- I feed >2000 files at once
> to a single <javac>, and what it has always done for me is to create a
> source-file list that gets sent to jikes with the @filelist parameter, so
> I'm not exactly sure what the recent change was supposed to be
> addressing... maybe OS's with smaller command-line capacities that aren't
> using jikes?) Anyway, check CVS for that change, and try picking it up and
> seeing if that helps.

It adressed OS's with command-line limitations in general since until this
patch only Windows got special behaviour.

Current behaviour is that for external compilation a temporary file is used
if the command-line would get longer than 4096 Bytes (which is a limit
defined by POSIX). This may still fail if the Classpath is getting longer
than 4000 Bytes (+ Options + Command + @jikesxxx) but should now work on
most platforms without problems.

Nico