ant-user mailing list archives

From "Nico Seessle" <Nico.Sees...@epost.de>
Subject Re: Microsoft compiler
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2000 06:48:37 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Donald" <donaldp@locus.apache.org>
To: <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2000 4:35 AM
Subject: Re: Microsoft compiler

> it more has to do with allowed language constructs. jvc allows too much
and
> tries to optimize too much. Stuff compiled with jvc will not work on
> 1.2/1.3 vms (the same with stuff compiled with 1.1 javac will not work on
> 1.2/1.3 vms).

OK, so you we seem to correspond more than I thought - it's more the
compiler which is generating bad bytecode although it generates better code
if you switch debug off and optimization on, so optimization is not the real
problem (at least this is my experience...).

> >Just wanted to clarify this a little bit since I'm using jvc and the
> >generated classes run perfectly on Linux/AIX when you know what to avoid
:-)

> what version jvm are you using on linux ?

It was JDK 1.1.8 (don't know if IBM or Blackdown) last time I used a large
number of classes compiled with jvc. (and IBM JDK 1.1.7 on AIX 4.3.2)
Meanwhile I encountered more and more bugs and problems in the generated
bytecode and are switching over to jikes where possible.

Nico