ant-user mailing list archives

From "Nico Seessle" <Nico.Sees...@epost.de>
Subject Re: Microsoft compiler
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2000 01:28:41 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Genadinik" <alex@trapezo.com>
To: <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2000 1:48 AM
Subject: RE: Microsoft compiler

> i think you're better off not using the microsoft compiler on large scale
> projects, it's largely incompatible with "Standard" java

What is the connection between the Microsoft Java compiler and "Standard"
Java? Is Jikes compatible with "Standard" Java 1.1 or "Standard" Java 1.2?
Or is it just so that the compiler generates bytecode according to the
source and class files you feed to him and has nothing to do with "Standard"
Java? Note that I don't verfied this assumption, but I would think you could
compile Java 1.2 with jvc and it should work if you run this with a 1.2 VM
(At run-time it would fail of course, because of changed native-methods) -
or are there any new byte-codes added in 1.2?? At least it should in most
cases generate code which is compatible with Java 1.1.

If you want to warn him, you should warn about

- com.ms.*-classes will mostly only run on Win32 (but for some people this
is enough and the IDE/compiler is fast AND the GUI looks like a Windows GUI)
- com.ms.wfc.*-classes have some buggy behaviour.
- MS jvc has some serious bugs which will make classes generated with it
unusable with other VM's
- java.*-classes from Microsoft and the according native-methods in the MS
VM have some serious bugs which makes it nearly impossible to use
serialization between MS VM's and Sun (IBM, ...) VM's
- <put your favorite problem here>

Just wanted to clarify this a little bit since I'm using jvc and the
generated classes run perfectly on Linux/AIX when you know what to avoid :-)

Nico