ant-user mailing list archives

From "William McKenzie" <wsmck...@cartewright.com>
Subject RE: Microsoft compiler
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2000 00:25:47 GMT
Just FYI, microsoft's lack of continued development on j++ is strictly a
legal issue.  Sun refuses to allow them to include the microsoft extensions
necessary to use COM objects (without which J++ is rather lame).

~Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: alfonso@rabies.malibunetworks.com
[mailto:alfonso@rabies.malibunetworks.com]On Behalf Of Alfonso Urdaneta
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2000 1:11 PM
To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Microsoft compiler

Alan Gerhard wrote:

> but then there's - J++ supports only java 1.1.8.
> Last I heard , MS has done nothing with J++ (publicly) for over
> 18 months - it appears to be a dead product.

That is actually quite sad, because the MS compiler and jvm were fast as
hell, but then they weren't allowed to continue work because they were
getting sued (rightly) for perveting the intent of Java.

My predictions are that

1.  At JavaOne next year microsoft will release a compiler and runtime
that
   is compliant, and faster than anything in the universe

or

2.  Microsoft will drop the product completely because it does nothing
    ensure that people are forced to develop on and for the Windows
platform.

Alfonso.
--
Alfonso Urdaneta                           alfonso@malibunetworks.com

"Time flies like the wind, but fruit flies like bananas"