ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: Forcing dependencies
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2000 08:24:19 GMT
Thanks for explaining this to me Eric.

>>>>> "EvdV" == Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com> writes:

 EvdV> I have the feeling that this separation doesn't exist with Ant
 EvdV> (a task such as "style" does it's own testing of the
 EvdV> modification dates)

This is true. Every task is supposed to be smart enough to know which
files to check. <style> already checks the xml file it is going to
transform as well as the style sheet involved (post Ant 1.1 at
least). It fails to take included files into account.

Ant 1.2 will have a way around this, but this is more of a hack. Use
an <uptodate> task to see whether the generated file is newer than
general.xml. Next in the list of <target>s would be one that would
only run unless the file was up to date - inside this target <delete>
the generated file.

Until then, the only thing you can do is deleting the generated file
manually whenever you've changed general.xml.

A cleaner solution would be to make <style> aware of other files
involved as well, I agree.

 EvdV> Since this issue can happen with many other tasks, I was
 EvdV> wondering what I may have missed and if there isn't any generic
 EvdV> mecanism to achieve this...

No, there is not. And this doesn't happen with the other tasks that
are currently there - maybe this is why it is missing. I'd expect a
<cc> task to have a way to define dependencies as well, but currently
Ant doesn't have a task like this.

Stefan