ant-user mailing list archives

From dona...@mad.scientist.com
Subject Re: Listing filenames vs. using wildcards
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2000 06:53:55 GMT
On Sun, 3 Sep 2000, Diane Holt wrote:

> It takes Ant 48 seconds to determine it needs to compile 1 out of 10
> source files, if I list the source files by name in the target. If I use a
> *.java wildcard instead, it takes 11 seconds. Does that sound right? What
> would it be about listing the files by name that would account for the
> difference in time?

that is extremely slow - on a 400 I get 3-5 second compiles
+ jarring with about 170 files. So it may be something funny
is occuring.

> Actually, Ant seems slow in general. It takes 3 minutes for it to decide
> it doesn't need to recompile any of 115 source files (it takes Jam less
> than 2 seconds to figure out the same thing). Do the Ant times seem right,
> or could my build.xml file just be set up really poorly? (I'm just
> starting to try and use Ant, so that's a real possibility.) Are there
> known ways to optimize the build.xml file for fastest results?

Try running ant -verbose to make sure it is doing what you
think it is doing. If so email the list the bits out of
build.xml

Cheers,

Pete

| Latrobe University,     | Does the name 'Pavlov' |
| Bundoora, Australia     |    ring a bell ?       |