ant-user mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: destdir included in classpath, why?
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2000 19:04:12 GMT
--- Markus Holmberg <markush@acc.umu.se> wrote:
> Using a recent ant version from CVS, I noticed that the value of the
> destdir attribute of the javac task is included in the classpath (as the
> first path).
>
> Is there a reason for it being included at all? (Without the user
> specifying it).

Because, as your java files are getting compiled, you want the compiler to
find the ones it's already done so it can resolve the references in the
currently-being-compiled file. Same reason the srcdir is included -- if it
can't find the classfile (in the output dir package hierarchy) that
contains the references in the currently-being-compiled file, it will look
for a source-file and (if it finds one) compile it, then use that
just-compiled classfile (which it has put into the output dir package
hierarchy) to get back to resolving the references in the
currently-being-compiled file.

Assuming I (now) understand how java compilers works, that is --
otherwise, this is completely wrong. :)  (And in which case, someone
please correct me.)

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)