ant-user mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Still trying to figure out Ant's time issues
Date Sat, 09 Sep 2000 23:34:30 GMT
--- Peter Donald <donaldp@mad.scientist.com> wrote:
> At 01:26  9/9/00 -0700, you wrote:
> >So I feel I need to ask again -- could it be the way I'm doing my
> >build.xml file that's slowing things down?
>
> yep - probably -

So what can you recommend I do about it?

>unless of course it is filesystem (is it mounted on NFS or Samba ????)

Nope -- local f/s.

> >I have build-order issues
>
> The question is why ? Build order should never be a problem unles built
> files are incompatable or use incompatible classpaths. Is this the case?

Incompatible classpaths, yes. I have files that need to draw from 1.1.8
classes. And I have files that need to draw from 1.2.2 classes. Because
java compilers do that thing where they go compile classes they need --
and they take their current classpath with them -- I can't just have an
overall generic classpath that has the 1.2.2 stuff at the beginning,
because when the compiler goes to compile the ancillary files -- ones that
can't use the newer stuff -- those compiles will pick up the newer classes
(since they're listed before the older ones), and their compile will fail.
On the other hand, I can't put the newer stuff at the end of a generic
classpath, because then those files that need the newer stuff to compile
will be picking up the older classes, and their compile will fail.

Nor can I simply compile all the files that need the newer classes first,
then do the ones that use the older classes -- because ones that use the
older stuff are needed by ones that use the newer. And vice-versa.

Since I'm new to Java, maybe there's some slick way around all this that I
don't know about. If there is, please let me know. I'm trying to get away
from an old system (using Jam) that takes several passes (the first of
which takes about 20 mins. and has compiler errors spewing all over the
place) before everything finally gets compiled, and into a new system
where it builds clean (and quick) the first time thru. I can do that with
a little shell script (takes about 5min. to do 3,547 files) -- but a shell
script isn't a build tool.

Thanks!
Diane

=====