ant-user mailing list archives

From Carlos Quiroz <carlos.qui...@rtse.com>
Subject RE: What about dependecies?
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2000 13:19:27 GMT
Thanks for the clear answer.

I suspected that the compiler had that "limitation". On the other hand is
very difficult to do it the another way. In C it's possible because you're
including directly the file by means of an #include directive. However, in
Java things are done the other way around so there is no easy way to
determine all the dependencies.

>Unfortunately, ant won't let you do this unless B itself has changed.
That's a pity, but I agree that's a compiler limitation more than ant's one.
I think that's a real issue since it make very stupid bugs based on certain
assumptions.

>If there's a compiler out there that can travel back up the
>dependency graph, please let me know!
There is some software that do that, maybe it's too slow and not suitable
for ant but it might be interesting to check.

>Alternatively, setup your javac task correctly and use a 'clean' target to
>force a rebuild when changing core interfaces and base classes.
That's how I'm doing it now, cleaning and compiling. IDEs do that anyway,
they detect dependencies and compile accordingly. So to really replace a IDE
by an editor and ant, this is an important point missing.

Regards