ant-user mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@m64.com>
Subject RE: What about dependecies?
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2000 14:27:59 GMT

No, Please do not do this. It may work but it is really taking the wrong
approach.

> Alternatively, setup your javac task correctly and use a 'clean' target to
> force a rebuild when changing core interfaces and base classes.

That is a better approach that achieves the same result. It works for
projects of all sizes.

> Unfortunately, there's no real good way for ant to solve this problem
> without parsing all the Java source files, and then traversing the
> dependency graph to figure out the set of files to hand off to
> the compiler.
> You'd be hard pressed to build this in Java and have it end up
> being faster
> than just recompiling everything from scratch with jikes or jvc.

Well, it is better to analyse the class files produced from the previous
build as they are easier to analyse than parsing the source and they are
usually "boiled down" so that the dependencies are at a minimum. I have done
this, in Java, and it was not slow. I may test it against a full Jikes
rebuild.