ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: Including other antfiles
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2000 08:45:00 GMT

 DV> They had this originally but changed it for 1.1. Check other
 DV> emails for the "official" response.

 DV> The general reaction has been: Ant is not make and if you want it
 DV> then implement it yourself

I hope this two sentences are not related or I'd like to see which one
came through as the "official" response. And don't take this as an
official response either, just talking for myself - didn't think I'd
ever need a disclaimer like this.

You will usually earn a response like this if you want to add
procedural logic, loops, switch and so on. The same holds true for
XSLT like template matching.

I don't want to get deeper into this because this is not something
that has been different at some point, so you cannot be talking about
these issues.

One of the biggest problems seems to be that people switching from
make to Ant try to use Ant much the same way they've been using
make. But Ant uses a very different approach and using Ant to build a
project out of tens of sub projects controlled by a master file (but
they still can be built individually) doesn't fit very well into Ant's
view of the world.

What has been different, was the handling of properties - and I agree
that this makes using sub builds a lot more difficult than they need to

I posted a summary titled "Why properties became immutable" on ant-dev
shortly after I realized how much confusion the change has caused -
personally I hardly realized the change.

I don't want to bore everybody by reposting this article, send an
email to to get it or to get the whole thread with
some added opinions and minor corrections.

There are chances that most of this stuff is going to change
(properties and ${} evaluated at runtime, only a subset of the parent
project's properties override those of sub projects) - just don't hold
your breath.

View raw message