ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: setting properties from a User defined Task.
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2000 13:34:58 GMT

 KB>   <target name="init">
 KB>     <!-- Adds all the jars in a given directory to the target property -->
 KB>     <getjars target_property="jarClassPath"
 KB>              basedir="${srcdir}\com\responsenetworks\lib" />
 KB>     <!-- Set the ClassPath using some hard coded values and the property we just
set. -->
 KB>     <property name="ClassPath"
 KB> value="d:\jdk1.3\jre\lib\rt.jar;d:\jdk1.3\jre\lib\jaws.jar;${jarClassPath}"
 KB> />
 KB>     <!-- The following prints ClassPath with the dynamically generated
 KB>          jarClassPath appended -->
 KB>     <echo message="classpath = ${ClassPath}" />
 KB>   </target>

 KB> The getjars task is the one that uses project.setProperty.  But
 KB> by what you've been saying, it should be evaluated after any
 KB> calls to <property> and thus the echo should produce:

Task.init() will be called at parser time - even if the target is
never going to be executed.

Task.execute() will be called, when you'd expect your task to run.

I guess, your getjars task is doing its work in the init method not in
execute. This means that (1) getjars will be called every time you run Ant
on this project, even for targets that don't depend on the init
target and (2) you get your properties inserted into the project before the
parser gets to the ${} in the echo task.

Your <getjars> simply works like <property> right now, with two
exceptions: <getjars> cannot be put at the same level as targets and
you are able to modify existing properties using <getjars>.

Hope that make things clearer.

Stefan