ant-user mailing list archives

From gle...@ca.ibm.com
Subject Re: Is there any plan to improve the performance of javadoc task anytime soon?
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:06:02 GMT
There is one place where Ant slows things down considerably.  When its
trying to determine the package names to pass on to Javadoc, its scanning
EVERY .java file in the source path for its package name.  If you have
hundreds of files, this can take a very long time.  I just started to use
the javadoc task and I can't believe how slow it is on top of how slow
Javadoc itself is.

I just did some tests to see what Javadoc's behaviour is when it has a
class file in a directory other than the one required by its package.
Javadoc simply doesn't find it.  The only way I got it to work is when the
package name and the directory tree the file is in matches up.  Ok, double
check with the ant javadoc task.  Yep, same result.  The task correctly
figures out which package the file belongs to, but when that package name
is passed on to Javadoc proper, it can't find it.  The upshot is, all that
code that is trying to intelligently determine which package a .java file
belongs to is unnecessary.  If the package name doesn't match the path,
the class won't be found.

Can anyone find any holes in my argument?  I have some things I need to do
first, but unless anyone has any complaints, I'm going to see what I can
do to speed this package name matching thing up.

Glenn McAllister

Please respond to ant-user@jakarta.apache.org