ant-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Todd" <ct...@alabanza.com>
Subject GUI tool for writing/creating ant makefiles?
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2000 01:51:12 GMT
Hello all-

I recently discovered both ant (what a GREAT tool!) and jEdit (a very nice
editor), and I'm posting these questions to both mailing lists because they
are inter-related.

While I have found ant to be a great tool for simplifying the development
process, I have to admit I've never much enjoyed writing XML files by hand.
;-)

Xeena is a great way to create XML files in a sort of drag-n-drop GUI, but
it requires that there be a DTD to work from, and there isn't a DTD for ant
makefiles.

So I was wondering if anyone on this list had a particular preference for a
GUI-based XML editor to use for ant makefiles.  Or does everyone use vi?
;-)

I was also wondering whether anyone was working on an ant GUI?  Since there
are a fixed number of options that can be used in ant makefiles, I would
guess you could create a GUI that has radio buttons and checkboxes and text
boxes and file selectors and the like for the various options in an ant
makefile.  Such a GUI would seem to be a natural candidate as a plugin for
jEdit, perhaps integrated with Kevin Burton's jCompiler and ProjectViewer
plugins.  Any thoughts/comments/flames?  ;-)

Sincerest regards,
Chris Todd
Software Engineer
Alabanza Corporation