ant-user mailing list archives

From "Farrar, Brian" <Brian.Far...@Mindflow.com>
Subject Usage of ant built-in task
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2000 17:17:45 GMT

I am trying to use ANT to replace traditional makefile.  The example
build.xml files that I have run across (from ant and xalan) show how to
build a project from it's entirety (from  the top level.)  However what I
would like to do is have a build.xml in each subdirectory in the source tree
so that I can build a specific subcomponent when desired.  I sort of figured
that the <ant ...> task would be the way to go but I have a usage that meets
my needs.

Specifically I would like to be able to have a top-level build.xml file
invoke the sub-level build.xml files for the appropriate target.  I would
like to not have the top-level build.xml file be required to specify each
target (sort of a generic target which will propagate downwards.)

Also I would like to be able to give a list of files in each subdirectory to
be built rather than simply building all *.java files.

I am confident that ANT can handle my needs, but unfortunately my thinking
is muddied by decades of Makefiles and I'm having a hard time shifting that
20 cents.

Thanks,

BAF