ant-user mailing list archives

From Ian Atkin <ian.at...@widelearning.com>
Subject RE: GUI tool for writing/creating ant makefiles?
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:34:18 GMT

a GUI for Ant would be a Good Thing.

as far as a DTD for build files goes, i'm surprised that one is not in the
distribution.

i've been playing around with DTDs/Schemas for a while and i'm gonna give it
a go...

i can forsee one problem i would like comment on:-
- <taskdef> allows arbitrary children of <target> to support optional tasks
	- something in the instance is changing what can be in the instance
- this means that any DTD/Schema will not have enough information to suit
all build files unless,
	1. content model of <target> is ANY
	2. parameter entity (for DTDs) or file inclusion (for XML Schema) to
allow variable definition of <target> content model

option 1 i don't like, ANY content models are a result of convienience not
design and in this situation almost defy the point of a DTD/Schema

option 2 is the only one left, would result in tight validation, but require
modification of the parameter entity if you are using custom optional tasks

both of these options could be implemented now without affecting the
distribution, build files would need DOCTYPE/schemaLocation info of course.

i'm also brainstorming the design of a "build markup" that avoids this
situation but still allows optional tasks, but anything i think of cannot
provide the flexibility required, any ideas/suggestions would be
appreciated.

Ian Atkin
Code Monkey & Text File Editor
Wide Learning