ant-user mailing list archives

From mike niemaz <nie...@xrce.xerox.com>
Subject Re: javadoc generation troubles
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2000 15:12:04 GMT
Ian Atkin wrote:

> mike,
>
> when you use 'classpath' for the name, what happens?

It doesn't crash but it does not find the 'jdk java' classes either ...

> The classpath attribute MUST be in all lower case, this is an Ant thing NOT
> an XML thing.

The doc says the contrary but never mind ...

> Ant makes assumptions about naming of attributes and mapping them to methods
> in the task class, look at the docs for writing your own task and you will
> find the exact rules.

I did.

> The XML specification says that element and attribute names are to be
> treated case-sensitive. In that <Element> and <element> are not the same,
> there is nothing in the spec to prevent use of capitals.

Next is the javadoc output I get when "writting classapth with a small c".
For sure it does not find the classes at all. Not the jdk ones, nor the
tomcat ones, etc ...

     Buildfile: build.xml
     Project base dir set to: /home/niemaz/DocumentSoul/build/docsoul
     The items attribute is deprecated. Please use the includes attribute.

     The items attribute is deprecated. Please use the includes attribute.

     Executing Target: prepare
     Executing Target: javadoc
     Generating Javadoc
     Javadoc execution
     [exec] Loading source files for db.objects
     [exec] Loading source files for db.queries
     [exec] Loading source files for exceptions
     [exec] Loading source files for userInterface.beans
     [exec] Loading source files for userInterface.servlets
     [exec] Loading source files for engine.managers
     [exec] Loading source files for engine.objects
     [exec] Loading source files for utils
     [exec] Generating package.html
     [exec] src/db/queries/DbUser.java:32: Superclass java.lang.Object of
     class db.queries.DbUser not found.
     [exec] public class DbUser {
     [exec]              ^
     [exec] src/userInterface/beans/Menu.java:28: Superclass
     java.lang.Object of class userInterface.beans.Menu not found.
     [exec] public class Menu {
     [exec]              ^
     [exec] src/userInterface/beans/Error.java:28: Superclass
     java.lang.Object of class userInterface.beans.Error not found.
     [exec] public class Error {
     [exec]              ^
     [exec] src/userInterface/beans/View.java:28: Superclass
     java.lang.Object of class userInterface.beans.View not found.
     [exec] public class View {
     [exec]              ^
     [exec] src/userInterface/beans/Login.java:28: Superclass
     java.lang.Object of class userInterface.beans.Login not found.
     [exec] public class Login {
     .
     .
     .

My sh script look like this:

     JAVA_HOME=/opt/java/jdk1.2.2
     JAVACMD=$JAVA_HOME/bin/java
     TOMCAT_HOME=../tomcat

     CP=$TOMCAT_HOME/classes:$TOMCAT_HOME/lib/ant.jar:$TOMCAT_HOME/lib/xml.jar

     CP=$CP:$JAVA_HOME/lib/tools.jar:$JAVA_HOME/lib/dt.jar

     $JAVACMD -classpath $CP:$CLASSPATH org.apache.tools.ant.Main
     -Dant.home=$TOMCAT_HOME -Dtomcat.home=$TOMCAT_HOME "$@"

I've tried to directly generate my javadoc with the following script.
A part from javadoc errors, it can find the classes and generate
a correct javadoc ...

     /opt/java/jdk1.2.2/bin/javadoc \
         -d ../tomcat/webapps/docsoul/javadoc \
         -classpath ../tomcat/classes \
         -sourcepath src \
         db.objects \
         db.queries \
         exceptions \
         userInterface.beans \
         userInterface.servlets \
         engine.managers \
         engine.objects \
         utils

Has anybody tried ever the generate his javadoc
with Ant? If so, did it work?
Maybe Ant does not interpret the "classpath" tag ...

--mike