ant-user mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject Re: Including other antfiles
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2000 00:28:36 GMT
At 10:17  10/8/00 -0700, you wrote:

>At 11:52 AM 8/10/00 +1000, you wrote:
>>Feel free to make meta-Ant if thats what you want. A lot of other people
>>want it aswell. Ant however is not the place for it.
>
>Why is that? We don't want Ant to be used for complex projects or multi
>projects.  It seems (to me at least) that ant is ideal for doing complex
>java projects and flushing out the design properly will achieve this
>without a problem.

Ant can only cater to "complex" projects by including complex rules. Start
adding rules and where would you stop ? You wouldn't stop - you would end
up with make or worse yet another perl. ick !

Ant is meant to be simple and readable by anyone. That was it's design
goal. I see the need for extended version of Ant that includes templates
and abstract rules but including this in base ant would lead to Ant being
hard to read and non-simple. Hence It is better to keep this other
functionality in another tool that expands on Ant. The best ideas so far
have been to use XSLT to transform a  simpler xml file to build.xml.
Everyone complains it is not there but as far as I know no one has actually
started to make it.

Cheers,

Pete