ant-user mailing list archives

From Ross Cormier <>
Subject Re: New user with cyclic dependencies
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2000 06:37:29 GMT
I tried using the jikes compiler and was able to automagically compile
dependencies.  It seems strange that javac will handle the dependencies on
the command line but not from ant.

I also tried using classic and modern for the compilers with no luck.  I
wanted to use ant for production builds, but i can't use jikes as the compiler.

At 04:01 PM 7/27/00 +1000, you wrote:
>At 12:55  27/7/00 -0500, you wrote:
> >I know that if I ask javac to compile some files, and I include the source
> >directory as part of the classpath then javac will automatically compile
> >the imported classes as it encounters them.  It seems that ant's javac is
> >not doing this.
>hmmm - that so. I never knew that. In that case it may be possible to use
>this hack by specifying classpath attribute in javac that includes
>alternate source directories.
> >I guess one solution is to include all classes with cyclic dependencies as
> >a single target?  I am not sure how to specify multiple directories for a
> >single javac task.
>well you can't and that is a design choice. I have never had to specify
>multiple source directories and am not sure it is needed thou if you could
>describe a use case where it is needed it may be possible to alter javac
>task. Ant makes a few assumptions about layout - namely that all source
>comes from one directory and that they are all in their respective package
>directories. So if you have the class in package then the src
>directory layout should be
> >Am I totally off base?  Can anyone give me a kick in the right direction?
>hope that helped
>| "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want |
>| to test a man's character, give him power."          |
>|       -Abraham Lincoln                               |

View raw message