ant-notifications mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Martin Todorov (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (IVY-1414) create possibility for easy transition from Maven
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2013 16:01:15 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-1414?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=13622448#comment-13622448
] 

Martin Todorov commented on IVY-1414:
-------------------------------------

I have to say I disagree with some of your points.

Maven is not really that complicated. You actually need to read a book about it to understand
how it works. Just like you would do for other tools like git, Subversion, Ant and all those.
This is the Ivy JIRA and I am not trying to start a flame war here. However, it is also not
correct to call Maven slow or hard to learn, as it's not. Frankly, there are much more books
and about how it works. One of them "Maven: The Definitive Guide" by the folks from Sonatype
is the best on the market and they're actually giving it to you for free. With really good
examples and explanations. Somebody just has to read it. So the "too hard" bit is just an
excuse, in my opinion. Also, yes, I understand the benefit of Ivy being just a simple dependency
manager. However, in most scenarios Ivy is not really sufficient and has to be used within
an Ant environment. Ant scripts tend to get overly complicated within very little time, if
you're working with a large number of modules. (However, these are just my 2 pence worth of
thought based on actual experience).

Ivy *can* deploy to Maven-based repositories such as Nexus, Artifactory and Archiva.

However, I do agree that Ivy could and should improve on the support for pom.xml files. I
also think that supporting the format (however odd it might sound) could actually be a great
benefit for the project.
                
> create possibility for easy transition from Maven
> -------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: IVY-1414
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-1414
>             Project: Ivy
>          Issue Type: Improvement
>          Components: Core
>    Affects Versions: 2.3.0
>            Reporter: Vyacheslav Sakhno
>
> Maven is declarative and not easy to understand build system. To build several target
they must be sequenced and executed together as a part of lifecycle. That slowdown build speed
by N times for N targets. The only functionality maven do well is dependency management which
is equivalent to Ive functionality. So is does make sense to move to Ant+Ivy instead of Maven.
> I suggest to improve support for that migration:
> Make Ivy support maven dependency format: easy to implement for one developer but removes
1 hour hand work for thousands developers over the world.
> Also make support of reading dependencies from maven repo and publishing the to it.
> Though it is easy work to do it makes Ive more attractive for transition from Maven.

--
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly, please contact your JIRA administrators
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

Mime
View raw message