ant-notifications mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Martin Todorov (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (IVY-1197) OutOfMemoryError duriong ivy:publish
Date Sun, 03 Mar 2013 03:07:13 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-1197?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=13591613#comment-13591613
] 

Martin Todorov commented on IVY-1197:
-------------------------------------

Maarten,

I did try it with the httpclient included in the latest Ivy. I added it to the classpath.
Yes, indeed -- the OOME is no longer there, but uploading the file takes a ridiculously long
time. I tried with a file of 1.7 GB by deploying and artifact to Nexus with (first) Ivy and
(then) Maven. Ivy took ~ 2 hr 30 mins, whereas under Maven 3.0.4 (without any extra configuration)
it took ~ 5 min 25 sec. This is a huge difference, even with the httpclient on the classpath.

I can't invest more time into analyzing this myself, but I can tell you what is most-likely
happening. Check these two links for further details:
- [http://maven.apache.org/docs/3.0.4/release-notes.html Maven 3.0.4's release notes]
- [http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-http-settings.html Guide to HTTP settings]

Check the second link in regards to the http.protocol.expect-continue=true part. This explains
what is happening. Apart from that, the PosterOutputStream is actually extending the ByteArrayOutputStream.
If you have a look at it, it clones the byte array. This leads to using twice as much memory,
as the file (at least).

I think this should be properly addressed and that it is quite easily reproducible.

                
> OutOfMemoryError duriong ivy:publish
> ------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: IVY-1197
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-1197
>             Project: Ivy
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: Core
>    Affects Versions: 2.0
>            Reporter: Michael Rumpf
>         Attachments: ASF.LICENSE.NOT.GRANTED--clipboard.txt
>
>
> When publishing a large file, an OutOfMemoryError occurs.
> {code}
> [ivy:publish] 	published ppg to XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
> BUILD FAILED
> /export/build/hudson/jobs/ppg-rcp/workspace/ppg-rcp/com.daimler.ppg.rcp.builder/build-wrapper.xml:152:
The following error occurred while executing this line:
> /export/build/hudson/jobs/ppg-rcp/workspace/ppg-rcp/com.daimler.ppg.rcp.builder/build-wrapper.xml:277:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
> 	at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Arrays.java:2786)
> 	at java.io.ByteArrayOutputStream.write(ByteArrayOutputStream.java:94)
> 	at sun.net.www.http.PosterOutputStream.write(PosterOutputStream.java:61)
> 	at org.apache.ivy.util.FileUtil.copy(FileUtil.java:168)
> 	at org.apache.ivy.util.url.BasicURLHandler.upload(BasicURLHandler.java:200)
> 	at org.apache.ivy.util.url.URLHandlerDispatcher.upload(URLHandlerDispatcher.java:82)
> 	at org.apache.ivy.util.FileUtil.copy(FileUtil.java:140)
> 	at org.apache.ivy.plugins.repository.url.URLRepository.put(URLRepository.java:85)
> 	at org.apache.ivy.plugins.repository.AbstractRepository.put(AbstractRepository.java:130)
> 	at org.apache.ivy.plugins.resolver.RepositoryResolver.put(RepositoryResolver.java:219)
> 	at org.apache.ivy.plugins.resolver.RepositoryResolver.publish(RepositoryResolver.java:209)
> 	at org.apache.ivy.core.publish.PublishEngine.publish(PublishEngine.java:282)
> 	at org.apache.ivy.core.publish.PublishEngine.publish(PublishEngine.java:261)
> 	at org.apache.ivy.core.publish.PublishEngine.publish(PublishEngine.java:170)
> 	at org.apache.ivy.Ivy.publish(Ivy.java:600)
> 	at org.apache.ivy.ant.IvyPublish.doExecute(IvyPublish.java:299)
> 	at org.apache.ivy.ant.IvyTask.execute(IvyTask.java:277)
> 	at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:291)
> 	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor101.invoke(Unknown Source)
> 	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
> 	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
> 	at org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchUtils.java:106)
> 	at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:348)
> 	at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:390)
> 	at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:411)
> 	at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1397)
> 	at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.SingleCheckExecutor.executeTargets(SingleCheckExecutor.java:38)
> 	at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1249)
> 	at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Ant.execute(Ant.java:442)
> 	at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.CallTarget.execute(CallTarget.java:105)
> 	at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:291)
> 	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
> Total time: 14 minutes 24 seconds
> Finished: FAILURE
> {code}
> The size of the file that is being uploaded is: 687712714, so around 650-700MB.
> The publish task is part of a Hudson Ant build where the artefacts are published to an
Artifactory repository at the end.
> I have given the Job 1300MB for the max heap size.
> It seems as if the whole file is loaded into memory for the upload.

--
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly, please contact your JIRA administrators
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

Mime
View raw message