ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Jaikiran Pai <jai.forums2...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ivy cache, changing patterns and time to live
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2018 04:02:12 GMT
To be honest, I did not fully understand what the issue/question is. Is
it possible for you to create a simple application which reproduces and
explains what the issue is?

P.S: AFAIK, this mailing list doesn't support attachments, so if you do
have that simple application, you might want it included within the
email as text.

-Jaikiran

On 01/02/18 2:33 AM, Geißler, Daniel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are investigating some serious pain with our build times and identified ivy:resolve
as the main time consumer.
> While having similar dependency trees in most of the components in the multi module build,
all artifacts seem to be searched in the remote repository all the time.

> We know that dynamic and SNAPSHOT versions are one reason for that, but still there must
be a way to keep the results at least for one build fresh.
> This is where we found the defaultTTL or ttl aspects of caches (http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/settings/caches/ttl.html).
>
> With some rough testing we figured out that enabling the checkmodified flag on a resolver
forces every artifact to be resolved (be it a SNAPSHOT dependency or not, all artifacts are
listed as searched by the resolve task).
> But when we set checkmodified="false" and a short defaultTTL on the cache, repeated calls
will not trigger a search until the time expires.

> Here's the resolver configuration for the repository containing SNAPSHOT and released
artifacts:

> <ibiblio name="all-development" m2compatible="true" latest="my-strategy" useMavenMetadata="false"
>              root="${ivy.repository.root}/${ivy.repository.name}"
>              checkmodified="false" changingMatcher="regexp" changingPattern=".*-SNAPSHOT.*"
/>

> and this is how our cache is configured:
>
> <cache name="my-cache" useOrigin="true" basedir="${ivy.cache.repository.dir}"
>              ivyPattern="${ivy.cache.ivy-pattern}" artifactPattern="${ivy.cache.artifact-pattern}"
>              lockStrategy="artifact-lock-nio" />
>
> Anyone can give brief explanation when to use what and which sideeffects to expect? The
documentation is not exactly clear about how to handle changing artifacts in a effective way.

> any help would be appreciated
> Daniel Geißler
>
> SALT Solutions AG
>
> www.salt-solutions.de<http://www.salt-solutions.de>
>
> Vorstand: Dieter Heyde (Vors.), Dr. Bernhard Blüthner, Dr. Hans Christoph Dönges, Claudia
Lang, Frank Reinecke