ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Loren Kratzke <LKrat...@blueorigin.com>
Subject RE: cache busting and integration question
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2015 21:00:22 GMT
Here are the projects that I am using to test and debug this situation. Each project uses identical
build.xml and settings.xml. They differ only by their ivy.xml files. Here is the project layout:

ivy_stale_app
 - build.xml
 - ivy.xml
 - ivysettings.xml

ivy_stale_dep
 - build.xml
 - ivy.xml
 - ivysettings.xml

If you create the projects above using the files below, and edit such that you can publish/retrieve
from a Nexus server somewhere, then you can reproduce this issue.

The dep project creates a file named date_time.txt with the date and time, creates an artifact
named mydep-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT from that file, and publishes it. The app project consumes that
dependency (and generates a similar but otherwise useless artifact that can be ignored here).
Monitor the date/time value in ivy_stale_app/lib/mydep-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT in the app project to
know if/when you pick up a fresh artifact.

Here is the messed up behavior with this setup:

1. If you publish the dep to Nexus (over and over) you will get the fresh artifact in the
app every time. (GOOD)
2. If you then publish to the internal repo, you will get the cached Nexus artifact the first
time. (BAD)
3. If you publish to the internal repo a second time, you will get the internal repo artifact.
(GOOD after BAD)
4. If you publish to the internal repo over and over, you will get fresh artifacts in the
app every time. (GOOD)
5. If you publish to Nexus any time after publishing to internal, you get the internal artifact.
(regardless of the "force" attribute value)

The "force" setting on the internal repo had no effect one way or the other in my testing
with the settings below. All other setting changes have only random and degrading effect from
the above description (such as never getting anything fresh from anywhere ever).

If I could fix #2 above I could live with Ivy. But I can't tell my customers to be sure to
build twice if developing locally. I just can't do that.

So given all of that info, and the repo steps, and the files, please anybody show me what
I am doing wrong, or agree that this is odd and undesirable behavior that should be fixed,
or tell me that Ivy just can't do what I want it to do.

*** BEGIN build.xml ***

<project name="ivy_stale_app" xmlns:ivy="antlib:org.apache.ivy.ant">
    <description>Cache test - consumer</description>

    <taskdef resource="net/sf/antcontrib/antlib.xml"/>
    <taskdef resource="org/apache/ivy/ant/antlib.xml"/>

    <ivy:settings file="ivysettings.xml"/>

    <tstamp>
      <format property="date_time" pattern="yyyy-MM-dd_HH:mm:ss"/>
    </tstamp>

    <property name="build.version" value="1.0.0-SNAPSHOT"/>

    <target name="clean" description="Clean the project">
        <delete dir="build"/>
        <delete dir="dist"/>
        <delete dir="lib"/>
    </target>

    <target name="retrieve" description="Fetch dependencies">
        <ivy:resolve/>
        <ivy:retrieve pattern="lib/[artifact]-[revision](-[classifier]).[ext]"/>
    </target>

    <target name="build" depends="clean,retrieve" description="build the project">
        <mkdir dir="build"/>
        <echo message="${date_time}" file="build/date_time.txt"/>
    </target>

    <target name="dist" depends="build" description="create dist that can be published">
        <mkdir dir="dist"/>
        <copy file="build/date_time.txt" tofile="dist/${ivy.module}-${build.version}.txt"/>
    </target>

    <target name="preparePublish" depends="dist" description="Prepare for publish">
        <ivy:deliver deliverpattern="dist/ivy-${build.version}.xml"
                     pubrevision="${build.version}"
                     status="integration"/>
        <ivy:makepom ivyfile="dist/ivy-${build.version}.xml"
                     pomfile="dist/${ivy.module}-${build.version}.pom"/>
    </target>

    <target name="publish-local" depends="preparePublish" description="Publish artifacts
locally">
        <ivy:publish artifactspattern="dist/[artifact]-${build.version}(-[classifier]).[ext]"

                     resolver="internal"
                     pubrevision="${build.version}"
                     status="integration"
                     overwrite="true"/>
    </target>

    <target name="publish-nexus" depends="preparePublish" description="Publish artifacts
to Nexus">
        <ivy:publish artifactspattern="dist/[artifact]-${build.version}(-[classifier]).[ext]"

                     resolver="nexus-snapshots-noplatform"
                     pubrevision="${build.version}"
                     status="integration"
                     overwrite="true"/>
    </target>

</project>

*** END build.xml ***

*** BEGIN ivysettings.xml ***

<ivysettings>
    <caches defaultCacheDir="${user.home}/.ivy2/cache"/>
    <settings defaultResolver="chain"/>
    <credentials host="nexus.mycompany.com" realm="Sonatype Nexus Repository Manager" username="name"
passwd="pass"/>

    <property name="m2pattern" value="[organisation]/[module]/[revision]/[artifact]-[revision](-[classifier]).[ext]"/>
    <property name="internal.repo.dir" value="${user.home}/.ivy2/m2"/>
    <property name="mycompany.repo.url" value="http://nexus.mycompany.com:8081/nexus/content/repositories"/>
    <!--<property name="ivy.resolver.default.check.modified" value="true"/>-->

    <resolvers>
        <filesystem name="internal" force="true" checkmodified="true" changingPattern=".*">
            <ivy pattern="${internal.repo.dir}/[module]/ivy-[revision].xml" />
            <artifact pattern="${internal.repo.dir}/${m2pattern}" />
        </filesystem>

        <url name="nexus-snapshots-noplatform" m2compatible="true" checkmodified="true"
changingPattern=".*">
            <artifact pattern="${mycompany.repo.url}/snapshots/${m2pattern}" />
        </url>

        <chain name="chain" checkmodified="true" changingPattern=".*">
            <resolver ref="internal"/>
            <resolver ref="nexus-snapshots-noplatform"/>
        </chain>
    </resolvers>

</ivysettings>

*** END ivysettings.xml ***

*** BEGIN ivy.xml for dependency project ***

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ivy-module version="2.0"
            xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="http://ant.apache.org/ivy/schemas/ivy.xsd"
            xmlns:m="http://ant.apache.org/ivy/maven">

    <info organisation="example.scratch" module="mydep"/>

    <publications>
        <artifact name="mydep" type="pom"/>
        <artifact name="mydep" type="txt"/>
    </publications>

</ivy-module>

*** END ivy.xml for dependency project ***

*** BEGIN ivy.xml for consumer of dependency ***

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ivy-module version="2.0"
            xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="http://ant.apache.org/ivy/schemas/ivy.xsd"
            xmlns:m="http://ant.apache.org/ivy/maven">

    <info organisation="example.scratch" module="myapp"/>

    <publications>
        <artifact name="myapp" type="pom"/>
        <artifact name="myapp" type="txt"/>
    </publications>

    <dependencies>

        <dependency org="example.scratch" name="mydep" rev="1.0.0-SNAPSHOT">
            <artifact name="mydep" type="txt"/>
        </dependency>

    </dependencies>

</ivy-module>

*** END ivy.xml for consumer of dependency ***

L.K.