ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: Selecting optional dependencies of OSGi-bundles with Ivy (+150 bounty on StackOverflow)
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2014 08:57:33 GMT

Le 16 juil. 2014 à 09:21, Boris Brodski <brodsky_boris@yahoo.com.INVALID> a écrit
:

> Hello Nicolas,
>
>>  But this "use_xyz" configuration will be the one of org.eclipse.jdt, not one of
its dependency.

> this is exactly, what I need. But unfortunately the "rev" attribute is mandatory:
>
> <dependency org="bundle" name="org.eclipse.xtend.core" conf="default->default,use_org.eclipse.jdt.core"/>
>

> produces
>
> [xml parsing: ... cvc-complex-type.4: Attribute 'rev' must appear on element 'dependency'
...]

> Do you have an Idea, how can I activate this configuration without specifying the version
of the bundle explicitly?

Maybe you can use this trick: you can specify a range of versions, a range so wide that it
will match anything existing; you can write rev="[0,)"

Nicolas

> Thank you!
>

> Cheers,
> Boris
>

> On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:25 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lalevee@hibnet.org>
wrote:

> Le 15 juil. 2014 à 18:16, Boris Brodski <brodsky_boris@yahoo.com.INVALID> a écrit
:

>> Hello Nicolas,
>>

>> thank you for the quick reply. I use your suggestion already, but specifying the
version is some kind nasty, especially if you have many such optional dependencies.

>> Is there really absolutely no possibility to just activate a configuration of a bundle,
like

>> <dependency org="bundle" name="org.eclipse.jdt"> <!-- No version here -->
>>     <conf name="use_xyz"/>
>> </dependency>
>>
>> This would be completely enough for me!
>
> Yes you can, just like a normal ivy file:
> <dependency org="bundle" name="org.eclipse.jdt" conf="default->use_xyz" />
>
> But this "use_xyz" configuration will be the one of org.eclipse.jdt, not one of its dependency.
>

> Nicolas
>

>> Cheers,
>> Boris
>>

>> On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 3:43 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lalevee@hibnet.org>
wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> Le 15 juil. 2014 à 11:18, Boris Brodski <brodsky_boris@yahoo.com.INVALID>
a écrit :

>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> I posted a question about selecting optional dependencies of OSGI-bundle on Stackoverflow:

>>> ant - Selecting optional dependencies of OSGi-bundles with Ivy - Stack Overflow
>>>

>>> ant - Selecting optional dependencies of OSGi-bundles with Ivy - Stack Overflow
>>> I use Ivy to resolve OSGi bundles, like org.eclipse.jdt: <dependencies>
<dependency org="bundle" name="org.eclipse.jdt" rev="x.y.z"/>
>>> </dependencies>
>>> View on stackoverflow.com Preview by Yahoo
>>>

>>> Even issuing a bounty of +150 didn't helped... No answers, no comments. (The
bounty expired within 24 hours.)

>>> I going to repost my question here hoping to get an answer and also hoping to
give away +150 reputation on StackOverflow.

>>> I use Ivy to resolve OSGi bundles, like org.eclipse.jdt:
>>> <dependencies><dependencyorg="bundle"name="org.eclipse.jdt"rev="x.y.z"/></dependencies>
>>> It works fine and gives me all mandatory dependencies.
>>> My question is, how can I select some (not all) optional dependencies of transitive
bundles?
>>> I can:
>>>      * Select optional dependencies of org.eclipse.jdt by activating use_xxx
configuration
>>>      * Select all optional dependencies using transitive-optional configuration
>>> What I actually need is a possibility to globally activate a configuration use_yyy.
Globally means (applying to all transitive dependencies):
>>>      * If a module doesn't have this configuration, do nothing
>>>      * If a module does have this configuration, activate it
>>
>> Only the first solution you suggest is possible.
>>
>> But if in your use case you need an optional dependency to be fetched, then it is
actually required for you. So in your ivy.xml, put an extra line about the dependency you
require.
>> The non ideal point here is about choosing the right version of your dependency.
With a pure OSGi resolver, you just declare a dependency on a bundle symbolic name, OSGi will
figure out the version which can match while looking up the optional dependencies. Ivy cannot
do that, there is no notion of optionality, either the configuration is in the dependency
graph, either it's not. So you'll have to put a version to the extra dependency.