ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Carsten.Pfeif...@gebit.de
Subject Antwort: Multiple release "streams" for different JDK's?
Date Thu, 02 May 2013 15:30:36 GMT
Hi Zac,

if you don't want to change the library names nor the revision number, how
about
putting the libs into distinct repositories? Then use different resolver
chains depending
on which jre version you want to have.

Cheers
Carsten

Von:    Zachary Bedell <zbedell@nycourts.gov>
An:     ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Datum:  02.05.2013 17:22
Betreff:        Multiple release "streams" for different JDK's?

Greetings all,

We're in the process of migrating our enterprise between Java versions.
We're at 6 presently and are moving to either 7 or 8, depending on time
frame, Oracle's release schedule, etc.

We have a number of in-house libraries which we compile and publish to our
private Ivy repository.  We'll need to compile those libs with the new JDK
version going forward, but for an extended period of time we'll also need
to maintain versions compiled with JDK 6 so that our many projects can
migrate as their schedules permit.  Until we're able to fully retire Java
6 (likely at least a year), we'll end up with something like the following
for every build of our libraries:

ourOrg#ourLib;DEV-12345 (JRE 6 version)
ourOrg#ourLib;DEV-12345 (JRE 7 version)

(Where the 12345 is currently the SVN rev the build was created from.)

I'm not sure how best to model the JRE version into Ivy's view of our
artifacts.  It's not valid to consider the JRE 7 version an "upgrade" to
the 6 version, so it's not something that would increment or otherwise
contribute to the version number.  Especially, we wouldn't want projects
using floating revisions (latest.integration) to switch from one JRE
version to the other without explicit action taken by the developer.

I'm leery of renaming the modules (ourLib-7) for several reasons.  First,
I expect the dependency tree would be horribly broken as we have
interlocking dependencies between our in-house libraries, and changing
them all recursively would be a nightmare.  Additionally while the -7 case
is the exception for the time being, it would eventually become the norm,
and I'd prefer not to have a vestigial -7 stuck on the release names
forever (or have to undertake a second module name change to remove the
-7).

We're not currently using Ivy's branch tracking feature for anything, and
I'm curious if this might be an appropriate use case for it.  While
ultimately the two versions are built of the same source tree (so not a
branch in the SCM sense), I think it might work for projects desiring the
JRE-7 builds to apply a branch to their dependency in order to get it.  I
am still concerned how this will play with the previously mentioned
interlocking dependencies.  In a case such as:

Project --> lib1(jre7)
       \--> lib2 --> lib1(no-branch)

I'm not sure whether the jre7 branch would "win," whether both branches
would be pulled in (bad...), or if some combination of force, conflict,
exclude, etc. would be necessary to get the desired behavior -- namely
that once a project declares its need for the jre7 branch of a module,
anything in the entire dependency graph which depends on that module
should also take only the jre7 branch.

I'd greatly appreciate any guidance on this.

Best regards,
Zac Bedell