ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Mitch Gitman <mgit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multiple release "streams" for different JDK's?
Date Thu, 02 May 2013 17:08:40 GMT
Since you hadn't mentioned confs, I was making the assumption that you
weren't using confs. Good to see you are.

I think your criticisms of using confs for this in your situation are
valid.

And I think Carsten's suggestion of multiple repos is workable and
preferable to confs. As long as clients want to control which JDK they're
using, they can choose which repo to use. This would also work nicely with
a CI server. Then you'd have one job for Java 6, one for Java 7, one for
Java 8.

>From my standpoint, one problem with using repos for this is that it leads
to repo proliferation and forces consumers to worry about one more thing in
their Ivy settings, but I can understand one could live with this. My
bigger problem is that it's not literally "correct," in the sense of
orthodox dependency management. For a given org+module+revision
combination, there should be just one unique set of artifacts. But I can
understand how that's something you can live with as well, and certainly
Ivy lets you get away with it.

Now that I think about it some more, if I were tackling this problem, I'd
go with different Ivy modules, one for each JDK version. And then I'd have
a "default" Ivy module be a particular JDK version Ivy module. This would
fit just as nicely with multiple jobs on a CI server. At the time you're
ready to make the switch from defaulting to Java 6 to Java 7, you'd do that
with a new version of the default module. So you'd be announcing to
consumers that, if you're using version 2.0.x of the default module, then
you're getting the Java 7 support. For consumers, this is part of the
bargain of consciously upgrading dependency versions. This is part of the
value of versioning.

Again, more "correct," but probably less seamless for your particular
problem.