ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Maurer Philipp <philipp.mau...@rheinmetall-ad.com>
Subject AW: Ivy in C/C++ environment
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2012 08:15:25 GMT
We've been extensively using Ant/ivy in our C++ environment.
The main reason was actually ivy to have a (transitive) dependency manager, but also to have
the same "build/install/run/test" interface to all our projects.

The idea is pretty simple: We have a company-wide repository of common libraries (C++source
and pre-compiled) in different versions that can be used in other projects.
When building a project, the correct (in term of version) dependee modules are downloaded
from the repository, extracted and locally build (with the normal build environment e.g. MSVC,
make). We also implemented an auto-environment feature that creates suitable environment variables
pointing to the include / import library paths of the locally built common modules.

But be warned: We had to extensively use Python scripts to enhance Ant/Ivy to make it all
work and it cost many man-months. In the end, we use ant as a standardized interface to our
build management system, use ivy for dependency management and leave the rest to python scripts.
But once set up, it works *really* good.

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Marcel Overdijk [mailto:marceloverdijk@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 6. Dezember 2012 17:15
An: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Betreff: Ivy in C/C++ environment

I wonder if somebody has some pointers for using Ivy in a C/C++ environment.

a) how is dependency management done (e.g. using custom resolver?)
b) how is building done (based on on de Ivy dependencies)

I'm not looking for a complete solution, just wat to start a discussion about possibilities
or perhaps best practices from people already having this set up.

Unfortunately I can't find and information in the docs. Ivy is especially interesting as it
is nog tight to Java dependency management.