ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Aris Green <aris.gr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How do you promote and artifact?
Date Sun, 30 Dec 2012 04:37:24 GMT
We currently have an MSBuild build and began using Ant and Ivy for build
artifact management.  The artifacts are stored in a local file system
repository.  Ivy is used to manage the dependencies between upstream and
downstream build jobs.  We have been moving towards trying to implement
continuous integration with Jenkins and I figured that clean build artifact
management was key.  We didn't want to have to force a the flatter folder
structure used for MSBuild upon Jenkins nor did we want to be copying build
artifacts all over the place from upstream to downstream projects using
scripting.  From what you're saying, it seem that you have builds for
continuous integration that are "integration" builds.  Then you plan a
"milestone" build that may get more attention and that all products would
be build from the same revision in version control.  You would then have
your "release" builds for you're release candidates.

In what you say, I suppose you do not promote (i.e. copy) an artifact out
of integration to let's say milestone.  I had been wondering if, in the IC
methodology, every builds starts out in integration, and then gets
"promoted" to the level of milestone, and then final release, based on
whether all of the tests are passed and the final criteria for release are
met.  This would seem to be difficult to do as in this case, the exact
source revisions of the resultant binaries would differ and this would be
hard to maintain.

I am having some success using ant properties to control the ivy status
(integration, milestone, release).  That way I would not have to copy
entire sets of Jenkins jobs just to change the ivy status.  You're answer
has given me some insight and I appreciate the help.

Thanks
agreen