ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Nik Trevallyn-Jones <...@babel.homelinux.net>
Subject Re: Ant Compiler
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2012 01:54:00 GMT
Installation instructions are here:
http://ant.apache.org/manual/index.html

There is no installer that I am aware of - there really is no need for one.
In particular, Ant does not need to add anything to the Windows Registry.

Regarding your question about adding entries to your path variable -
have you tried searching on Microsoft's site to get Microsoft
documentation on how to change environment variables on a Microsoft OS?

Regardless, even though I use linux rather than Windows, I can give you
simple guidance on a couple of the many ways to do it.

option 1. add and modify the variables explicitly in your command shell.
The instructions on the Ant site here show you the commands to use:
http://ant.apache.org/manual/install.html#windows

option 2. add and modify the variables permanently in the Windows
environment.
One (of many) ways to do this is:

2.1 right-click on "My Computer", and select "Properties"
2.2 select the "Advanced" tab
2.3 click on the button to edit the environment variables. There are
only 3 buttons on the Advanced pane, and the one you are looking for is
something like "Variables", "Environment", or similar.
2.4 It doesn't really matter if you add the variables to the top pane
(the current user) or the bottom pane (System), but you will find the
existing Path variable in the bottom pane.
2.5 add a new variable called ANT_HOME, and set its value to the path of
wherever you extracted the Ant zipfile.
2.6 if you don't have a "JAVA_HOME" variable, then add one and set its
value to the path where you installed the Java JDK (usually in
"C:\Program Files" somewhere).
2.7 edit the "Path" variable, and add ";%ANT_HOME%\bin" to the end of
the value for the Path variable.
**Warning** - the value is usually selected by default, so ensure you
don't accidentally delete the existing contents of the variable by mistake.

**Note: these new setting will only work command shells created *after*
the variables have been modified - so close any existing command shells,
and open (a) new one(s).

Cheers!
Nik

On 12/21/2012 02:53 AM, Tim Brown wrote:
> Find ant.bat in your unzipped folder structure.  It came from
> apache-ant-1.8.4-bin.
>
> Add the folder that contains it to your path and you should be good.
>
> ~Sent from my mobile device. Please pardon any oddities :-)
>
> On Dec 20, 2012, at 5:22 AM, PARDHU D<dpardhu123@yahoo.in>  wrote:
>
>> Hi to all,
>>
>> I downloaded apache-ant-1.8.4-bin, apache-ant-1.8.4-manual, apache-ant-1.8.4-src
all these from http://ant.apache.org . I did not find any installers in the above mentioned
folders and i am using Windows XP operating system. How to install ant in my system or How
can I work with ant compiler? I searched in Google and I can not find a solution for this.
Can any one please send screenshots of procedure for installing ant and set path for it. Hope
i can get reply.