ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Mitch Gitman <mgit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ivy Settings Conditionally Use an Environment Variable?
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 04:00:02 GMT
For this life of me, I can't find this in the Ivy documentation,
but--assuming you're using Ant and the ivy:settings Ant task--Ivy will
consume all the containing Ant Project's properties as Ivy variables, as
needed.

So what you could do is define just the following in your ivysettings.xml:
<property name="ivy.repos.server" value="http://ivy:8081" override="false"
/>

Then you place your condition in the Ant script:
<condition property="ivy.repos.server" value="${env.IVY_SERVER}">
    <isset property="env.IVY_SERVER"/>
  </condition>

Better yet, put everything in the Ant script.

Beyond that, you could take advantage of the immutability of Ant properties
and just define the following in Ant:
<property name="env.IVY_SERVER" value="http://ivy:8081" />

This line will be your fallback if the environment variable IVY_SERVER is
not defined. Then consume env.IVY_SERVER in your ivysettings.xml. There's
something funky though about consuming an environment variable directly
like this. There are more elegant mechanisms than environment variables for
non-bootstrappy user-varying content.

Another, not necessarily elegant technique I've seen is to use special
marker variables to import different nested Ivy settings into your main Ivy
setting using the include element. So you might do:
<include file="ivysettings-${environment}.xml"

Then you can define different Ivy resolvers/repositories with the same name
but which potentially use vastly different configurations.