ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Chris Rimmer <>
Subject Dependent modules where shared code rarely changes
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:26:31 GMT
I am in the process of splitting up a large codebase and hoping to start
using ivy to manage dependencies. As a first step, I have split it into two
pieces, A and B. There is some shared code used by both A and B. This is
held in a jar file which is an artifact of A and used by B. I don't
anticipate this shared code changing very often, so I am quite happy to
manage the versions manually. So the version number of module A is just
held in a properties file checked into source control. The initial version
(0.1) is published in a shared repository (the shared jar is the only
artifact) and B has a dependency on v0.1.

What I would like to do would for our continuous integration process to
detect if the shared code has been changed, but the version number has not
been incremented. So someone has probably forgotten to publish a new
version of A having changed the shared code. While it is possible to find
the latest version of a module using the <ivy:findrevision> ant task, it
does not seem to be easy to compare what is built from version control with
what it is in the shared repository.

My question is, am I approaching this the wrong way and if so, what should
I be doing to handle this differently?