ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Matt Hurne <m...@thehurnes.com>
Subject Re: IvyDE seems to prefer artifacts in non-workspace-resolver over projects present in workspace
Date Tue, 15 May 2012 20:19:06 GMT
> Each time I read the ChainResolver I am bit confused by the "return first" condition,
which doesn't return. I am not sure here what should be the code path.

Yeah...according to the documentation, once the module is found in a
given resolver in the chain resolvers that haven't yet been used
should be skipped altogether.  The code doesn't seem to be written
that way; it seems to use all of the resolvers regardless of
returnFirst (in addition to seemingly returning the module found last,
not first).  I feel like I must be missing something here.  Am I?

> Just a hint: what happens if you remove from your ivysettings the defaultConflictManager
?

I just removed the defaultConflictManager from my ivysettings and went
through the clean->resolve before building and publishing->build and
publish->resolve again process, and the result is the same; after the
publish and re-resolve the workspace projects are replaced in the Ivy
classpath container by the artifacts in the repository.  Isn't
latest-revision the default when the attribute is omitted anyway?

Thanks,
Matt Hurne

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Nicolas Lalevée
<nicolas.lalevee@hibnet.org> wrote:

> Le 15 mai 2012 à 20:51, Matt Hurne a écrit :
>
>> So I've attached a debugger and have been stepping through the
>> resolves.  As far as I can see, there is a ChainResolver that includes
>> both the workspace resolver and then our default resolver (which is
>> itself a chain resolver).  The workspace resolver finds the module in
>> the workspace and returns it to the ChainResolver, and then our
>> resolver also finds the module (in the repository) and returns it to
>> the ChainResolver.  The ChainResolver appears to discard the module
>> resolved by the workspace resolver in favor of the module returned by
>> our resolver instead.
>>
>> Here's the relevant snippet from
>> org.apache.ivy.plugins.resolver.ChainResolver.java starting with line
>> 102 (also recall this is Ivy 2.2.0):
>>
>> ResolvedModuleRevision previouslyResolved = mr;
>> data.setCurrentResolvedModuleRevision(previouslyResolved);
>> mr = resolver.getDependency(dd, data);
>> if (mr != previouslyResolved && isReturnFirst()) {
>>    mr = forcedRevision(mr);
>> }
>>

>> When this code is dealing with our resolver, the first line sets
>> previouslyResolved to the module we want (the module that represents
>> the project in the workspace).  The third line sets mr to the module
>> in the repository (the one we don't want).  In this case, mr does not
>> equal previouslyResolved and isReturnFirst() is true.  The body of the
>> if statement is executed, which just sets mr to the forcedRevision()
>> version of itself.  Is that right?  Shouldn't the body of the if
>> statement be:
>>
>> mr = forcedRevision(previouslyResolved);    ???
>>
>> or perhaps just:
>>
>> mr = previouslyResolved;    ???
>>

>> I don't fully grok the purpose of forcedRevision(), so maybe that's
>> what is throwing me off?
>
> Each time I read the ChainResolver I am bit confused by the "return first" condition,
which doesn't return. I am not sure here what should be the code path.

> Just a hint: what happens if you remove from your ivysettings the defaultConflictManager
?

> Nicolas
>

>> Thanks,
>> Matt Hurne

>>> Not that it helps me much, but I should clarify that the <dependency>
>>> elements in the delivered Ivy files look the same regardless of the
>>> resolve mode configured; the revConstraint is included with a value of
>>> "latest.integration" either way.  So it's my understanding that the
>>> resolve mode doesn't have a direct effect on the delivered Ivy files,
>>> but rather which of the revision-related attributes in those delivered
>>> Ivy files is used in future resolves.
>>>
>>> Matt Hurne

a "deliver" of the ivy.xml of your project. If there is any range version in your dependencies,
Ivy fix them as the one resolved during the build. So the next time a resolve happens and
that module is found in you repository, Ivy will resolved the previously-resolved revision,
the fixed one, not the original range version. Setting the resolve mode to dynamic change
this behavior; it will use the range rather than the resolved version. Look at your ivy.xml
in the local repository, you'll see some extra attributes in your dependency, if you have
any range version.

Workspace resolver. See at the end of the doc:

and the workspace resolver, and still want the transitive dependencies work nicely between
them, you may want to turn the resolve mode to dynamic:

a "deliver" of the ivy.xml of your project. If there is any range version in your dependencies,
Ivy fix them as the one resolved during the build. So the next time a resolve happens and
that module is found in you repository, Ivy will resolved the previously-resolved revision,
the fixed one, not the original range version. Setting the resolve mode to dynamic change
this behavior; it will use the range rather than the resolved version. Look at your ivy.xml
in the local repository, you'll see some extra attributes in your dependency, if you have
any range version.

Workspace resolver. See at the end of the doc:

and the workspace resolver, and still want the transitive dependencies work nicely between
them, you may want to turn the resolve mode to dynamic:

so that
 If the local

IDs that exist in

 That's