ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Matt Hurne <m...@thehurnes.com>
Subject Re: IvyDE seems to prefer artifacts in non-workspace-resolver over projects present in workspace
Date Wed, 16 May 2012 14:44:16 GMT
>> I'll need to step through the code again, and pay more attention to
>> what each resolver in the chain is doing.  I'll have to pick this back
>> up tomorrow.  I'll let you know what I find!
>
> If you could share a little bit more of your project configuration, I could try to look
into it too. Mailing lists are generally not appropriate to share files, so if you want to
share some, you are welcomed to open a Jira issue.

Thanks, but I've resolved the issue.  The "force" attribute of the
resolver for the local repository was given a value of "true".  When
that's the case, BasicResolver.shouldReturnResolvedModule() returns
false, effectively overriding the ChainResolver's returnFirst="true".
With force="false" (the default) on the local resolver, the local
resolver returns the module resolved by the WorkspaceResolver rather
than overriding it, and resolves with IvyDE still include the
appropriate Eclipse workspace projects in the Ivy classpath container
rather than the artifacts in the local repository, which is what I
want.

Thanks,
Matt Hurne

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 7:32 PM, Nicolas Lalevée
<nicolas.lalevee@hibnet.org> wrote:

> [...]
condition, which doesn't return. I am not sure here what should be the code path.

>>> Yeah...according to the documentation, once the module is found in a
>>> given resolver in the chain resolvers that haven't yet been used
>>> should be skipped altogether.  The code doesn't seem to be written
>>> that way; it seems to use all of the resolvers regardless of
>>> returnFirst (in addition to seemingly returning the module found last,
>>> not first).  I feel like I must be missing something here.  Am I?
>>
>> Further reading and looking at the commit (revision 688097) that
>> introduced the current line that calls isReturnFirst() leads me to
>> believe that the idea is this:  if the module found first in the chain
>> should be returned, forcedRevision() is called to set a flag on the
>> ResolvedModuleRevision called "force".  Then when subsequent resolvers
>> are called, they are passed the previously resolved
>> ResolvedModuleRevision.  It is apparently their responsibility to
>> inspect the "force" flag on that revision, and if it is true, *not*
>> resolve the module themselves, but rather return the previously
>> resolved module instead.  So it's not nearly as straightforward as I
>> had originally expected (is it ever?!).
>
> I have understood the rationale.
>
>> I'll need to step through the code again, and pay more attention to
>> what each resolver in the chain is doing.  I'll have to pick this back
>> up tomorrow.  I'll let you know what I find!
>
> If you could share a little bit more of your project configuration, I could try to look
into it too. Mailing lists are generally not appropriate to share files, so if you want to
share some, you are welcomed to open a Jira issue.

> Nicolas
>

>> Thanks,
>> Matt Hurne

condition, which doesn't return. I am not sure here what should be the code path.

>>> Yeah...according to the documentation, once the module is found in a
>>> given resolver in the chain resolvers that haven't yet been used
>>> should be skipped altogether.  The code doesn't seem to be written
>>> that way; it seems to use all of the resolvers regardless of
>>> returnFirst (in addition to seemingly returning the module found last,
>>> not first).  I feel like I must be missing something here.  Am I?

>>> I just removed the defaultConflictManager from my ivysettings and went
>>> through the clean->resolve before building and publishing->build and
>>> publish->resolve again process, and the result is the same; after the
>>> publish and re-resolve the workspace projects are replaced in the Ivy
>>> classpath container by the artifacts in the repository.  Isn't
>>> latest-revision the default when the attribute is omitted anyway?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Matt Hurne

condition, which doesn't return. I am not sure here what should be the code path.

of the delivered

Ivy does a "deliver" of the ivy.xml of your project. If there is any range version in your
dependencies, Ivy fix them as the one resolved during the build. So the next time a resolve
happens and that module is found in you repository, Ivy will resolved the previously-resolved
revision, the fixed one, not the original range version. Setting the resolve mode to dynamic
change this behavior; it will use the range rather than the resolved version. Look at your
ivy.xml in the local repository, you'll see some extra attributes in your dependency, if you
have any range version.

of the delivered

confuse the Workspace resolver. See at the end of the doc:

of your own and the workspace resolver, and still want the transitive dependencies work nicely
between them, you may want to turn the resolve mode to dynamic:
of settings in the ivysettings.
module in the ivysettings.

Ivy does a "deliver" of the ivy.xml of your project. If there is any range version in your
dependencies, Ivy fix them as the one resolved during the build. So the next time a resolve
happens and that module is found in you repository, Ivy will resolved the previously-resolved
revision, the fixed one, not the original range version. Setting the resolve mode to dynamic
change this behavior; it will use the range rather than the resolved version. Look at your
ivy.xml in the local repository, you'll see some extra attributes in your dependency, if you
have any range version.

confuse the Workspace resolver. See at the end of the doc:

of your own and the workspace resolver, and still want the transitive dependencies work nicely
between them, you may want to turn the resolve mode to dynamic:
of settings in the ivysettings.
module in the ivysettings.

of our projects on each
well.  One of the resolvers